Smoked Duck Breast
Sometimes simplicity is best with the EGG and your ingredients. This recipe is a great example – the moist and succulent duck enhanced by the sweetness of the Cherry smoke. Smoking food is all the rage at the moment with many of our most famous chefs smoking on their Big Green Eggs.
This would be delicious served on a bed of greens – a fantastic contrast to the roasted plums.
You may have seen chef Stephanie Moon on The Great British Menu this week smoking rose veal on her Small EGG – she also used cherry wood chips for added flavour – Have a look here on Chef’s Corner to find out more…
- Handful of pitted plums cut in half.
- Couple of oranges
- Salt and pepper
- 2 duck breasts – serves 2
- Pat the duck breasts dry with a paper towel.
- Score the skin in diagonal cuts with a sharp knife.
- Pre soak a handful cherry wood chips in a bowl of water.
- Indirect Set Up- set up your EGG for INDIRECT cooking with the plate setter in the legs up position and place the stainless steel grid on top of the Plate Setter legs.
- Target Temperatureis 220F/ 110C
- The EGG should already be set up for indirect cooking, with Plate Setter
- Target temperature is 220F 110C
- Season the duck breasts with salt & pepper and grate some orange zest on to the skin.
- When the EGG is up to temperature and you are ready to start cooking drain the water from the wood chips remove the plate setter and sprinkle the wood chips in a large circle on the charcoal.
- Replace the Plate Setter, and the Stainless Steel Grid.
- Place the duck breasts on to the stainless steel grid skin side up and place the plums cut side down on to the grid. Place the whole oranges on to the grid.
- Shut the EGG lid.
- You will smell the wood chips smoking away gently infusing the duck meat and fruit.
- After about 45 minutes, open the lid, remembering to burp it and perform a touch test on the duck to determine it’s “doneness”. You can also use an instant read digital thermometer to check the internal temperature.
- Target internal temperature of the meat should be 165f/74c.
- Remove from EGG and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the duck thinly and squeeze the orange over it. Serve with the plums and a green salad.